Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where Oh Where Have I Been?!

Just an update! My poor poor blog, I'm sure it feels so deserted and unloved :0(

To say that the past few weeks have been hectic is an understatement! I globe trotted to Scotland for what was supposed to have been a 2 week work trip. After 1 week I got the dreaded email "call home". Heart stops beating, you can't breathe, fingers shaking as you press the numbers . . . my grandma passed away. Although I was sad, it was a sigh of relief. She had not been well for awhile and I knew she was finally at peace. So, back across the pond to go home and prepare. 1 1/2 days later I was back on a plane to Seattle for the wake and funeral. Emotional chaos, tears and major jet lag do not mix well :0)!! 24 hours in Seattle and then back home again to try and figure out which time zone I'm in, how many hours of sleep I have missed in the past week, and how I'm going to get caught up on everything that I am sooo behind in - including my craftiness and my deserted blog. I haven't been in much of a crafty mood lately. I think being emotinally drained and sleep deprived must have drained my mojo too :0) - not to mention I left my camera in Scotland. Hopefully it will find it's way home soon!

So I have nothing crafty to share, just my story. I did want to write what I said at my Grandma's funeral. You don't have to read it. I just want to put it in writing . . . she was a letter writer, she loved receiving mail too . . . this is my letter to her . . .

My Grandma was a very social person and by social I mean she loved to talk! Her favorite subject, of course, was her family. She would talk to anyone who would listen, willing or unwilling, about her family - both extended and immediate. She had a heart bigger than most and she genuinely cared for and was concerned about each and everyone.

My Grandma was a great teacher and mentor to many important things in life;

1. She taught me the importance of prayer and how to say them correctly :0) In fact, I'm pretty sure many of my prayers in life were answered because she was right there making them her own as well.

2. She taught me to eat my vegetables and finish my dinner . . .if only for the simple reason that dessert came right after!

3. She taught me that the bus was not just a means of public transportation but a daily journey and adventure. I remember once I asked her when or where does the bus end? Her reply, "Let's find out!" So we did . . .we spent most of the day riding the bus just to see where it would go :0)

4. Most importatnly she taught me the importance of family and loving them unconditionally . . . and to brag about them to anyone who will listen :0)

I know it's sad to say goodbye to someone you love and that with death comes sorrow and grief. But I can honestly say that I am happy!

I'm hapy that I got to spend 40 years growing up with;

A LOVING woman that touched so many peoples hearts and lives
A NURTURING woman that taught and influenced me in so many ways
An AMAZING woman that I was lucky and blessed to call "Grandma"

I have no doubt she is up there holding Grandpa's hand . . . probably scolding him for leaving early without her! And undoubtedly bragging about her family to anyone who will listen!!

Have fun Grandma, I LOVE you!


8 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you and your family. What you wrote was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet Randee! How blessed you are to have had such a wonderful Grandma! I am so sorry for your loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so beautiful! How blessed you are...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about the loss of your grandma.

    Your letter is absolutely beautiful...you really expressed what a wonderful person she was and how much she meant to you.

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! Thanks for sharing. I know that must have been hard for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Randee, my prayers are with you and your loved ones, Your grandma looks Beautiful in the picture, what a sweet letter to her!!

    Big Hugs,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to read about your loss but am happy to hear that you are at peace. Take care and thank you for sharing {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete