Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vellum/Acetate Monthly Card Challenge


This months card challenge with my friends at work was to create a card using acetate or vellum. I decided to use a technique I saw first posted by Linda Bullard on SCS where she embossed on vellum to give a 3-D effect.
I first stamped the turtle from SU! Nature Prints on cardstock weight vellum with Brown Staz -on ink. Then I flipped the image over onto a foam mouse pad and embossed the turtle with a stylus tool. I went around the whole shell and then just emobossed the little spots. It is hard to see the effect in the photos, but it turned out really cool. Great texture and feels really neat! I colored the turtle itself on the front side of the vellum with SU! markers and the background (blue and brown) was colored on the backside of the vellum. Coloring on the backside gives a softer muted color. However, the turtle wasn't green enough for me when I tried coloring him on the backside. The brown paper is actually mulberry. I was trying to give a more natural feel to the card. The inside of the card is stamped with a sentiment that read "Take time to enjoy the simple things in life". I don't usually make masculine cards, but I think this fits that category. Thanks for stopping by!!
Recipe:
Stamps: SU! Nature Prints, Northwoods Stamp Co.
Ink: Staz On Brown, Su! Markers
Paper: The Paper Company, SU!, Watercolor paper from WM
Accessoreis: Brads, Ribbon - SU!

5 comments:

  1. HOLY COW!

    This is totally awesome!! Best turtle ever, I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love. can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is fabulous! I love your embossed vellum technique...the dimension is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could see the turtle in person. I just LOVE this card!

    ReplyDelete